Saturday, July 4, 2009

A 21 Salute to Raj Chatterjee by Maj Gen Surjit Singh

Dear Friend,

I am an avid reader of 'middles' by Raj Chatterjee, and I had always wondered why he had not published an anthology of his writings in the form of a book. Last week, I saw on the Internet that a collection of his published pieces has been brought out by Penguin under the title, "The Boxwallah and the Middleman" To my surprise, the book was not available in any bookstore here in Chandigarh. Old Thomas came to my rescue, and against his credit card the book was shipped from Bangluru to me within 48 hrs.
What followed was an enchanting six days of reading and re-reading his 550 word stories told in an inimitable manner. The book was un-put-downable. It took me away from the humdrum of pensions and their iniquities/inequities. Suddenly, life seemed less serious. After a long time I read this form of prose. I think the world is the poorer ever since PG Wodehouse went off the scene. No on reads him any more, and old "Jeeves" has passed into the pages of history.
I have, nonetheless, been glancing at all the mails emanating from the veterans on their suggestions to 'rationalize' pensions and thus resolve anomalies. Some of the tables amuse me rather than educating me. I really wonder whether any one of us oldies (me included,of course) can create a table which would satisfy every body. Old Raj Chatterjee would have put it in the following manner:

"I have authentic information to believe that the government has decided to withhold the issue of the revised instructions on pensions until all associations of the ESM have had a fair opportunity to present their case, along with the suggested tables. This is to ensure that no one is denied an opportunity to have his say in the matter. Indeed, the government is indebted to the author of the suggestion that all past pensioners be given a 3% rise every year. This would reduce the immediate burden on the exchequer and also give the pensioners something to look forward to. Indeed, since this is an 'increment' it should be linked with the performance of the veteran during the year. Therefore, every pensioner would be required to prove that he has been a gentleman all through the year. With the 'life certificate' the veterans will be required to produce a certificate from all the members of the family and the neighbours that he has conducted himself in a congenial manner during the year. Of course, the document will need to be certified by an appropriate authority"

I think Mr Raj Chatterjee has a valid point. This mechanism will improve the image of the old soldiers and also keep tempers in check.

My hero took pre-mature retirement from ITC in 1964 and receives no pension. OROP means a lemon to him. He has survived since then on a regular regime of churning out words. And he has not starved!
Cheers!
Maj Gen Surjit Singh

No comments:

Post a Comment