Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2009 11:43 PM
Remains of pilot missing 18 years in Iraq found Michael "Scott" Speicher.
Brig CS Kamboj
1. Cdr Harpreet has forwarded an excerpt to show to what length Veterans in USA can go for their Veterans. That is why they have their own Ministry with the Secretary of Veterans. And no peace deal can be concluded without all the demands of the Veterans, including bones of the dead.
2. A few days back a notification was issued establishing few Cells.
Perhaps IESM needs to establish full range of measures for the Welfare of the Ex-Servicemen.
3. It should not just be question of War Memorial not withstanding flip flops by the Government. POWs and accounting of missing in action should also be equally important. GOI is never well disposed towards Defence personnel, serving or retired. They have only given in when war is on. IESM should force GOI not only for suitable War Memorial in Delhi but Composite Dialogue with Pakistan should also have comprehensive Agreement for exchange of all POWs and Accounting of all Missing in Action under the Supervision of UNO and/or ICRC.
4. One Appreciation is unanimous. Hot Encounters with Pakistan would be per manant feature in the foreseeable future. Therefore full rehabilitation's of War Disabled should not be limited to Gratuities and Jaipur Foot/Arms. Countries spend funds on future research in particular on space for spin offs for adopting and exploitation for the benefit of their peoples , more so far rehabilitation of War injured. Last President being SA to Defence Minister and later to PM had asked R&Ds on space to be used for giving near normal life to War Disabled. But GOI has stopped that. They are not only doing taking limbs from Dead to be re fixed but also arms with almost full control as good as born with.
5. Both these subjects are very dear to the heart of Maj Gen Cardozo. He should agree to help.
Please do forward to the IESM Core Committee.
With best regards,