From: H B Kala email@example.com
Date: Wednesday, 29 April, 2009, 8:36 AM
I agree with all my seniors and colleagues that upgradation of 33 per cent Lt Gens to HAG Plus scale will only further aggrevate the problem. Besides other repurcussions, its implementation will pose functional problems. As I understand, if accepted by the Service Chiefs, each arm and service is likely to be allotted a fixed number of vacancies which will be further sub-allocated to the individuals on the basis of seniority. It means that almost all the corps commanders will be denied this upgradation, being the junior most in the rank. Consequently, a DGP police will 'continue' to remain senior to the Corps Commander, an equation that defeats the very purpose of the new dispensation.
It is also not necessary that every Lt Gen would retire in the HAG Plus scale. Officers, with barely two years residual service at the time of promotion, may discover that they do not make it to the privileged 33 per cent upper crust at the time of their retirement.
Obviously, our bureaucrats continue to remain ignorant about the finer aspects of our functioning. They have only compounded the problem further.
(Lt Gen HB Kala, Former Army Commander, Western Command)
From: prem parkash batra
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:11 PM
Subject: Speak By: Shri Arun Shourie=India's Defence Policy -Safe Guarding National Security: 7th Maj Gen Samir Memorial Lecture At USI -29th April 2009
Commodore Ranjit B Rai 29th April 2009
SPEAK BY SHRI ARUN SHOURIE:
INDIA'S DEFENCE POLICY- SAFE GUARDING NATIONAL SECURITY
7TH MAJOR GENERAL SAMIR SINHA MEMORIAL LECTURE-
29TH APRIL 2009 AT USI
1. Today I attended the above captioned talk by Shri Arun Sourie at USI. The Auditorium was nearly 3/4th plus full after a long time. Air Chief Marshal Retired Tyagi chaired the session with the new Director Lt Gen PK Singh on the dais as the Initiator.
2. In my view, it perhaps was lesson by a Politician in National Security and India's Defence Policy. The Chair was adequate and more of an Air Force whistle than Tri-Service think. It was an impressive strategic think and answered the questions with capacity, knowledge and depth. He got a good ovation at the end. Some body said he is RM material.
3. Perhaps nearer your way of thinking but at a higher level. I think you have missed a good appreciation. Knowing your penchant I can but apprise you of some of the salient points that hit me and as I remember them.I do not know whether you can get a summary from USI. But may be some of your friends can help. Try VADM Inder Bedi.
A. Pakistan will not change its one point agenda. He cannot understand how helping a professed Enemy can advance India's security. Whether it is present dispensation or Taliban, it would remain adversarial to India.
B. Have a 20 years plan for China. Pakistan is its outsourced client for keeping nuisance value of India in check.
D. China is advancing at an astounding speed in Nepal. It has a strong influence in Myanmar, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka via Pakistan. It is going to spend $100 Billion in South America. And it is going to outsource its production to Africa in a big way. China is welcomed there with open arms.
E. China has not rescinded from any of its positions vis-a-vis India.
F. Europe is bought out by China.
G. Be prepared for a USA withdrawal from Afghanistan and Iraq, elaborate smoke screen not withstanding.
H. Russia is decreasing in its population.
J. China would overtake Japan as the 2nd biggest economy next year.
5. GATBHANDAN Politics in India are going to get worse.
6. Civil Bureaucracy is not going to change.
7. Has any Chief ever put in his Papers for any thing. Forget about Gen Thimmaya case. If three Chiefs sign and put a case, would Govt. reject it!
8. Why are you waiting for Govt. to approve your Military Strategic Policy? Why you do not go ahead and implement?
9. Have you ever let the Govt know about the consequences of delays in sanctions or put in your papers.
10. Chief of Defence Staff. It is necessary but instead of pulling each other down have you let the Govt. know of your collective thinking.
11. There are certain things that being in Service you may find difficult to put it across. Then use your retired fraternity and put your perspectives in public domain. What are you afraid of? I am the only Editor of Daily who has been sacked twice. I have had three CBI inquiries. They came to my house many a times. But I got a clean chit every time.
12. I hope you do get some 'FUNDAS'.
With best regards,
(Cdr Prem P Batra, New Delhi)
From: Cdr Sharan Ahuja
Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:48 PM
Subject: Maha Rally 12 Apr link for iesm rally on "YOUTUBE"
Here is the link for the Maha Rally of 12 apr 2009 in youtube and also on the site www..iesm.org
Pls use the link above direct or download from the site. Kindly give this wide publicity.
Pls see IESM latest NEWS on http://www.iesm.org
News Update every hour
Cdr Sharan Ahuja (Retd)
Member Core Group IESM